Want Jamilah Thompkins-Bigelow to visit* your school, library, or homeschool group? Email her your request at firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out the brochure below for her author visit offerings.
*At this time, all author visits are virtual.
Program Offerings in Accessible Format:
30-Minute Program Options: $150
- Read Aloud and Quick Q&A: Interactive read aloud and a brief Q&A session
- Read Aloud & Readers’ Theater: Interactive read aloud and students act out scenes of book
- Author Chat: Short presentation about career as author and Q&A session
60-Minute Program Options: $250
- Read Aloud, Q&A, and Readers’ Theater: Interactive read aloud, an extended Q&A session, and opportunities for students to act out story scenes
- Read and Craft: Interactive read aloud and arts & craft project
- Missing Page: Interactive read aloud and creative writing activity during which students produce an additional “missing” page of the story
- Author Talk and Q&A: Author presentation about lessons learned on journey to becoming an author and Q&A about books and/or the writing field
Writing Workshops: 90 minutes: $300
- Mining for and Refining Your Story Ideas: Jamilah will introduce students to fun strategies authors use to find, evaluate, and develop story ideas.
- Story Starter Party: From storytelling dice and evocative songs to picture prompts, we’ll employ a myriad of muses to launch stories and add creative twists to them.
- Celebrating Identity and Diversity through Story: We’ll talk about how stories can be used to celebrate our diversity and then, write our own diverse identities into stories.
- Seeking Social Justice through Story: We’ll discuss the issues and injustices we care about and then how to write stories that entertain while effectively sharing our messages with the world.
- Picture Book Creation: We’ll talk about the parts and elements of picture books and then, students will create their own picture books as author-illustrators.
- Revise Like an Author: This workshop is for students who have already drafted creative writing pieces. Students will practice author strategies for giving effective peer critiques and revising.